Monday, October 12, 2009

eating my words (& lots of crêpes in the process)

“As long as I’m in France, I’m happy.” This is something I said countless times before starting this program. And unfortunately, I have to take it back. Even if it’s one you’ve grown to love, happiness is not embodied by a country, culture, or language. Obviously it was a naïve statement, but I let myself believe it was true. But as soon as I got here, I’ve suffered from a very premature (for me) homesickness. I’m no stranger to living or traveling abroad, but this immediate homesickness is something quite foreign to me.

So I was thrilled to get to spend this past weekend with my parents in Lyon! My dad had a layover & my mom caught a first class ride along with him. I may be a recent inductee to the “real world,” but that didn’t stop me from climbing into their hotel bed like a four year-old & napping between them as they slept off their jet lag. It was wonderful! I was with them less than 48 hours, and while I would much rather have them here with me permanently, I’ll take what I can get. I am truly blessed. Not only to have such extraordinary parents, but to have ones that can travel so easily.

We went shopping near Place Bellecour, found a great little wine shop by the Hôtel de Ville, walked around old town & through the famous Sunday market. I could give you a detailed play-by-play… but I won’t. Because the obvious truth is that the best part of the weekend was my parents’ presence, not anything we did or saw. I can’t say it enough. And I can’t tell you how nice it was (although it was probably horrifying for them to witness) to just let it all go and cry as they held my hand. I’m just incredibly overwhelmed right now. At the risk of this blog turning into a long-winded vent or sob story, I will leave it at saying there’s a lot to overcome. It’s going to take a lot of faith, determination, & a positive attitude. Please pray for me!

I don’t know what to expect in the week ahead. Will I actually be teaching or just bumming around some more? As they’ve said to me over and over, “We’ll see.” And when this week is over, I get to see my parents again before Delta cuts the flight to Lyon in November. It’s a major bummer, but two visits is better than none. And, of course… “We’ll always have Paris!”

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, was that an Anastasia reference at the end?! Sorry it's been hard... I know it'll get better though. If nothing else, drown your sorrows at the cute wine shop. ;-) Just kidding, alchie! Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow can I sympathize with you. I can't tell you how many times I have called home and cried in the last week. Hang in there! Trust me, I know it's tough. It's downright painful in fact. But there is always Bruges, Peter Pan in Paris, and episode 333 of K&K to look forward to. (At least that is what I keep telling myself). You can skype me and we can commiserate soon. Love et gros bisous!!

    ReplyDelete