Friday, January 8, 2010

Hello, my name is Brian.

As you already know, there was a bit of confusion over my second orientation letter this week. Apparently it was sent to someone named Brian Anderson. Granted, Sally and Brian are such ridiculously similar names, it makes it hard to point the finger and laugh hysterically at the French government... NOT! Ahem...

Anyway, the transition back to small town French life has not been as hard as I was expected. Am I home sick? Yes. But I'm handling it better than anticipated. This is not due to the fact that I knew what to expect or spurred on by the idea that I should be unquestionably euphoric to be living in France after all of the dreaded, "Oh my gosh you live in France?!?! You must be loving it there! Right?" questions I faced this Christmas. Perhaps I don't express it very much on this blog because I don't want to be consumed with Debbie downer thoughts, but my experience here has a been a very difficult one. Over break, my mom shared this quote with me from God is in the Small Stuff at Christmas, "You'll miss out on many of God's blessings if you don't expect to find them in the midst of difficulty." I've been coping better this time around because I've put it all in God's hands. This program has been a true test of faith and the only way I'm going to complete it successfully is if I rely fully on God. My New Year's resolution this year is to read the Bible from cover to cover. These daily devotions have completely changed my perspective on life here! That and the paper "count down" chain I made today! 110 days to go!

I'm really looking forward to cutting one of these rings off every day! Sometimes you just need a good visual to motivate you.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing my parents in Nice next weekend! My train ticket is booked and I am totally psyched for warmer weather and good times!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for paper chains and for Nice! I love the idea of the countdown; don't be surprised if I steal it. Have fun next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should! It's seriously helpful! It puts things in perspective and makes the task at hand seem so much more manageable. Plus I used scrapbook paper so it's uber cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sally, glad you are hanging in there with spirit and grace! Check out this these cool horse pictures (and other neat stuff) from a Pioneer Woman. http://thepioneerwoman.com/blog/category/animals/horses/
    I remember when you were crazy for horses...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Aunt Suz! Ahhhh I love horses! I miss riding them so much. AND I love the Pioneer Woman! We got her cookbook over Christmas (you can get it at Barnes & Noble) and it's so good! Highly recommend :)

    ReplyDelete